Sunday, June 26, 2016

Honolulu International Center/Honolulu,HI/August 1,1970

"Straight Ahead"
"Ezy Ryder"
"Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)"
"Spanish Castle Magic"
"Red House" (last bit is cut off)

time-30:01


After Jimi chats a bit to the audience, he begins the wah-wah intro to "Straight Ahead". Next up is "Ezy Ryder". Jimi continues with the new tunes with "Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)". The audience sounds quite appreciative of songs that must have been entirely unfamiliar to them.

After a high energy "Spanish Castle Magic" Jimi slows the pace down with "Red House". This song is almost complete,but it cuts off with about one minute remaining.

This is a below average audience recording.




8 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I was at this show. Anyone have one of these for sale?

    http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/wan/5574308793.html

    contact me thru CL. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading. I will keep an eye open for that item.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone have an idea which fuzz face he used at this show? BC108 or BC183's transistors?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother and I were there, sitting in row 1 on the balcony behind Jimi and his amps in that picture. It was amazing - and even as a Canadian, I was moved by his rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. What a shock to hear them playing Purple Haze on the news 6 weeks later while driving to school and then the shock that he had passed away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother and I were there, sitting in row 1 on the balcony behind Jimi and his amps in that picture. It was amazing - and even as a Canadian, I was moved by his rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. What a shock to hear them playing Purple Haze on the news 6 weeks later while driving to school and then the shock that he had passed away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was the first rock concert I ever went to. What a way to start!

    I bought a "hold back" ticket on the day of the show and was seated at the center of the first row. I can actually see the back of my head in the photo on this page.

    I was spoiled for life: No subsequent concert (many different artists) ever measured up to Jimi's performance on the night of August 1st, 1970.

    It was a magical evening.

    ReplyDelete